Saturday, April 3, 2010

ON AWP AND EATING AT BURGER KING, OR, BENU PRESS IS HOSTING AN AWP RECEPTION AND IF YOU READ THIS BLOG, PLEASE COME AND BRING A FUN FRIEND

Hi Everyone,

If you read this blog, please come to an AWP reception hosted by Benu Press.

It is Friday April 9th from 7 pm. To 8: 15 p.m., Mineral Hall E, Hyatt Regency Denver, 3rd Floor. (You can check the AWP Conference schedule.)Thank you for considering to come.

This is an opportunity for you to meet new people and who knows? maybe someone will advance your career. Or mine.

In all seriousness: please, please come especially if you're awkward or shy or chubby or lonely or somewhat depressed--all of which I am. I'm a total geek. The last time I went to AWP, I hid in my hotel room, and called my boyfriend every hour, complaining that I felt so out of it and I didn't have any friends. Which I didn't. For most of meals, I ate alone at Burger King, figuring that someone who was cool and had friends wouldn't be dragging their ass into Burger King. And the one time I did see someone I knew (who did have a friend), I pretended that someone stood me up, even though no one had stood me up. I had no friends to eat with at Burger King.

So come hang out with me. I'm not cool. All that will be offered is a smile and conversation and drinks and some food. But sometimes that's more than enough.

We'll climb our way to the top (especially since there's never been a chance of me sleeping my way to the top.)

SAY YES TO POBIZ AND COME SEE ME!


5 comments:

  1. Pfui. I have a reading in the suburbs Friday night, so I can't come to your party. But I am happy to join you for a meal at Burger King anytime. Would love to catch up on how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for telling me! It's weird, Mary Anne, having left grad school and coming to rural Upstate New York, I totally have fell out of the loop. Not that there is a loop. Or that I was ever in it. But that's how I feel psychically. I feel weird inviting people, because I feel like it's an imposition, presumptuous--my self-consciousness kicks in, and I'm thinking, Am I looking self-aggrandizing? desperate? Both? And the I realize the answer: yes and yes and yes. :)

    With affection,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all you can do is keep telling yourself that everyone feels the same way. Except all those people with tons of friends. But everyone else. :-) So you might as well be the brave one who reaches out and makes the inviting gesture.

    I'm not throwing any parties, but I'm assuming there's a Utah party? Hopefully on a night I can make it, and I will see you there?

    If not, I'll just take a moment to say that while I'm not reading every single post here, the ones I've read, I've really liked. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost always eat fast food at AWP because I'm a cheapskate, and I try to eat alone because it's the only time I feel like I can get away from the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles,

    I bet you're the kind of homosexual who eats Veggie Burgers at McDonald's. Or an Asian salad at Arby's. Or orders bottled water at Jamba Juice. You don't understand my pain.

    ReplyDelete